Tuesday, November 17, 2015

My Adventure with a Piesporter Wine Kit

My winemaking adventure

I was really excited to try one of our new wine kits. The problem was deciding which one to start with when there are so many great options! Initially I thought I’d try more than one kind, but I checked myself. There is only so much space in a house, right?  To make the decision easier, I thought of some questions to help.

  • How do I want to enjoy the wine?
  • Is there a particular type of meal I want to serve it with?
  • Do I want something different or tried and true?
  • Do I want to share it as gifts, or keep it all to myself?
  • Where will I be brewing?  What is the environment like in my brewing space?

I finally chose the Piesporter because it’s a light wine and fairly easy to make. Piesporter comes from the Piesport region of Germany. According to QbA (a certification that declares a food made in accordance to local governing boards) this isn’t a true Piesporter, since it’s fermenting happily in Oregon. However, it meets my criteria for a mild, white wine. It pairs very easily with almost any food. Seafood for dinner? Check! Takeout Thai food? Check! Leftover kids Halloween candy? Sure, why not!

A mild wine also means that it’s easy to gift. Bold red wines are very famous and preferred in my area, but not everyone likes the strong flavors. This is a fun, easy-to-drink accompaniment to your kids’ candy evening snack.

The Piesporter does not need extra, special ingredients or temperature acrobatics. I did use bottled spring water to avoid any off flavors from my city tap water, and I have found it necessary to insulate the wine with a box to make up a couple of degrees. Other than that, it looks like a winner!

I started my wine in early October, so it won’t be ready to taste for some time yet. Naturally, I have had samples though. Each time I take a hydrometer reading, I check the flavor too. There’s no sense in throwing out perfectly good fermented grape juice.  I have greatly enjoyed the process of watching the bubbles, seeing the sediment clarify, and then stirring it all up again. I’m looking forward to looking after my bottles like a mother hen.

This kit makes a full 6 gallon carboy of wine, so it’s easy to share with friends. While I love eating and drinking all the things I make, sharing with others is my favorite part. It definitely looks like a lot of wine, and even more so when I bought 30 wine bottles! I am glad that I decided to start with just one flavor. I don’t think my equipment will sit empty for long, though. With the Piesporter brewing and almost ready for bottling, I have to admit, I am eyeing the other ingredient kits. Maybe I will try a nice Pinot next. Or a Moscato. So many choices!

Wine making at home is far easier than I imagined. I think I’ll be giving wine for holiday gifts, housewarming gifts, birthday gifts, thanks for giving my kids lots of candy gifts… you get the idea! And in typical Sarah fashion, I’m already considering all the fun ways to make wine from local fruits. Stay tuned! But grab a wine kit while you wait.



from Cultures for Health Blog http://ift.tt/1H6dmDM
via The Shining Mind
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1MjMQpx

No comments:

Post a Comment