Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Sourdough Starter Pancakes

plate of pancakes

Some mornings it’s just hard to think about anything. Breakfast seems inconceivable when you open your fridge to see bare shelves. However, I do always have my sourdough starter. *whew*! Pancakes! But wait, I hadn’t fed my starter in a week… could pancakes still be made? On this particular morning, I decided to find out.

bubbles in the batter

I used this recipe from the CFH website (except that my starter wasn’t ‘freshly fed’) and substituted honey for the sugar. My starter is about 100% hydration, so I didn’t need any milk at all to get it to the right consistency.

Mixing

I must admit, I have tried using plain starter for my pancake flour in the past and it always produced a rubbery thick pancake. I was wary, but for the sake of a timely breakfast, soldiered on.

Then came the magical moment, as I mixed in the baking soda the batter became puffy and bubbly! A reaction between baking soda and the somewhat vinegary acidity of the sourdough starter perhaps? If you have any insight in this, I would love to hear it in the comments below.

fluffy batterSee how fluffy the batter is?!

When I dropped the rounded ice-cream scoop fulls of pancake batter on to the griddle, they immediately became bubbly lacy looking pancakes.

on the griddleThey were light, fluffy, slightly sweet and a huge hit with the family! If you are a pancake aficionado, you may refer to these more as crepes, but either way, they were gone in minutes. Breakfast was saved and a new recipe found!

child approved



from Cultures for Health Blog http://ift.tt/1VN2IVz
via The Shining Mind
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1JUkXTD

No comments:

Post a Comment