Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Lazy Girl Lotion Formula

diy lotion

I first learned to make lotion about 15 years ago. I messed up so many batches and made so many messes. I measured, and adjusted; melted and cooled. Finally I figured out a few simple ratios and a basic technique. With all of our fun new body care products, I decided it’s time to share my simple method of lotion making.

Cream lotion is essentially an emulsion. You need some water ingredients and some oil ingredients. If you remember from science class, oil and water don’t mix well. Emulsifiers are things that force oil molecules together. In the case of our lazy lotion, emulsifying wax does the trick beautifully.

You may also remember that a warm, liquid environment is a great place to grow mold. That is not something we want to have in our lotion. Commercially, lotion makers add lots of ingredients to keep nasties from growing. I prefer to add a little alcohol in the form of witch hazel or vodka, and some vitamin E oil. Still, homemade lotion will not keep indefinitely. You’ll want to store it in small jars in the refrigerator, taking out only what you need for 2-3 weeks at a time.

To make a nice, rich cream, my ratio is 1 cup of waters, ¼ cup wax, and ¾ oil. I also add 1 tablespoon of emulsifying wax and 8-10 drops of essential oils. How you split those up is totally up to you!

Ingredients

Directions

Begin by melting all your waxes together with your oil. Use a double boiler set up to prevent over heating the oils.

heating the oils

When that is liquid, cool the oil to room temperature by setting it in a pan of water, refrigerating briefly (be careful not to over-chill!), or letting it sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours. Oil doesn’t change temperature quickly. Then mix your waters together.

temperature check

Still a ways to go.

I pour my waters into the oil. Others do it the opposite way. I’ve never really found a problem either way. The trick is to go slow, whichever method you use. If you’ve ever made mayonnaise, it’s the same basic idea. Except in this case, you get to spread it all over you!

Once it is all blended and creamy, pour the lotion into storage jars or a pump bottle.

finished lotion

Important notes:

  • Never be tempted to use tap water. Only distilled water will keep. Tap or filtered water introduces bacteria, causing the lotion to go bad.
  • You can adjust the consistency of your lotion by altering the proportions of ingredients. More waxes and heavier oils will make a thicker cream. So will less water. I increased the water slightly for this recipe to get a thinner lotion.
  • Using unrefined ingredients makes a darker lotion. I have yellow beeswax and my shea butter is not refined. So my lotion is more yellow. It also has a stronger aroma. You can play with the ingredients all you like.
  • I plan to share my lotion. If you need less, feel free to cut the recipe in half. If you are using a regular counter-top blender, you’ll want to go no less than half. Using too little won’t blend.

What is your favorite type of lotion? Thick, thin, scented, non-scented? How do you make your lotion?



from Cultures for Health Blog http://ift.tt/1fDjW7x
via The Shining Mind
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1WPFEXu

No comments:

Post a Comment