Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Deodorant Making Part 1: Testing Two Kinds

Clay vs. Baking Soda Deodorant

We have two different deodorant recipes on our website:

My husband and I have always used the baking soda recipe and it works amazingly well (better than my store bought Dove antiperspirant actually!).

Deodorant Supplies

The only catch is that to keep it solid here in Hawaii (I like to keep it solid so that I can use the deodorant container for easy application), I always had to keep it in the refrigerator, which needless to say was slightly inconvenient. Today I decided to try a new method, and added 1 Tbs. of beeswax granules to the recipe to see if I could keep it solid and out of the fridge. If you would like to try it, melt the coconut oil with the beeswax before adding the other ingredients.

My other problem with this recipe is that when I use it right after I shave the baking soda can sting a little. Thus, I decided I would try the clay-based recipe to see if it could stand up to the power of the baking soda recipe while not stinging and also staying solid. (My husband, who does not shave, does NOT have this issue and LOVES this deodorant because its the only one that can keep him stink free through a whole day of humid, hot handy-man work!!)

supplies

beeswax granules melted closeup solid

solid deodorant

Comparison of the two thus far:
The baking soda deodorant has far fewer ingredients.  The ingredients are also much more common (and hence the recipe is easier to make.)

The clay recipe does not have baking soda in it, so that is already one point in its favor.  Both are equally hard at room temperature.

diy deodorant comparison

My husband and I will go through rigorous testing of both the deodorants and will report back about their effectiveness in part two. 😉

Do you make your own deodorant? What recipes work well for you?



from Cultures for Health Blog http://ift.tt/1hnJgPK
via The Shining Mind
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1MW8UX1

No comments:

Post a Comment